Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Demolition Derby!

I fought the tree, and the tree won...

Yesterday started out like any other day with me in a daze drinking mountain dew.  Got to work and got started with my daily duties.  I left to go pick up lunch for some of my co-workers and to meet someone to eat my own lunch with.  On the way back to work, I took a side road (short cut) that is very curvy.

At one point, I felt that I was too close to some mailboxes on a curve.  So I turned the wheel to avoid hitting them.  At that point it felt like Sherman (that's my car's name) took over.  I went way over to the left side of the road, so I turned the wheel to come back to the right side.  And I swear I think Sherman sped up.  I hit a tree, head on, and the rubber-saturn-bumper (not to be confused with rubber baby bumper) made the car practically bounce off the tree and with only two wheels on the ground I went again to the left side of the road.  Once there, Sherman slumped over to his side; my side, the driver's side.  Meanwhile, I was being tossed around inside like a shoe in a dryer.  Here is a picture of my crash course...

There was no dramatized "life flashing before my eyes"...  it was more like me, talking to my car (Sherman VueSaturn) saying "REALLY? REALLY? WHAT!! SERIOUSLY?"  And as Sherman slumped to his side, it seemed like it was in slow motion, with me saying "Is this really how it's gonna be? Really?"  And then the very unamused thought, "so that's what that feels like."

Now I'm sideways in my car, still buckled in.  And I'm thinking, how am I gonna get out of here?  I look for my phone, trying to figure out where everything landed.  I find it and call my roommate to come to the scene.  As I'm talking to her and trying to figure out how to get out, I look up and see a very nice man through the cracked windshield.  He is telling someone to call 911, and asking if I'm okay.  He says turn the car off and unlock the doors for me.  And I blindly comply, I don't know who he is, but that doesn't matter in a sideways world.

He climbed on top of the car and opened the passenger door and helped me out.  Then, he helped me off of the car a few moments later.  He stayed at the scene with me until help arrived.  There was a nice woman who called 911 for me. And there was another woman who stopped to help.  There is humanity in this world. 

All in all, God loves me.  It's been proven to me over & over.  How could a car hit a tree head on, bounce off the tree, and land on it's driver's side, and the driver climb out and walk away with NO injuries whatsoever?  I did.  With that in mind, I think I might have a good shot at a career in Demolition Derby.  

May he Rest In Pieces.
Sherman VueSaturn
2005-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment