Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Language of My People


I believe that most families and close friends have their own language. By this I mean, their own phrases, words and hand signals that only they understand. Generally most of the things I say come from movies, TV shows, or songs that I like. If you are related to me, or very good friends with me; you understand me...

...and that...

...is scary.

Yikes. 




Here is an extremely small collection of phrases that you might hear if you are around me or my family for any amount of time. A very small collection. 



Officer Devon Butler

"Don't you owe me $[insert amount here]?"
Anytime my sister or I receive a gift of cash, my Dad immediately asks us, "Don't you owe me?"



"You owe me $ 9.95!"

Meaning, I did you a favor. 
Comes from the movie "Cop & 1/2"
We actually use several quotes from this movie--   often.





"But my car is still pretty, right?"
My Great Aunt was a very jealous person, and spoke up at the end of a conversation to ask that question of us. Now it is something we say jokingly when we hear of an accomplishment. Good for you, but is my car still pretty? 


"It was on the spoon!"

My grandmother would always spoon out too much food on your plate, and you best damn accept it! She was 100% Sicilian... you don't mess with that. 


"Ear elephant."

My Dad's way of telling us that something was/is irrelevant to the situation and we should just stop talking about it.
"I. Am. Speed."


"How fast do those shoes go?"

New sneakers must be tested for speed. 
Float like a Cadillac, sting like a Beemer. Zoom zoom.


"Acaba-chewy"

Another word for sneeze. Mostly because that is how my Mom sounds when she sneezes. 


"P.A.B."

Punk Ass Bitch. 
My way of cussing at my sister when I was still too young to get away with it.
Oops! Sorry, Cap.
















"Sonnamagum!"
Translation: Son of a Gun! Our neighbor with a very thick accent used this phrase often; that is what we heard when he said it. 


"I.E. Phafum"

Translation: I have to use the bathroom.  Don't ask, just accept it for what it is. 


So, what are some phrases or words that your family and friends use, that no one else understands?

No comments:

Post a Comment