Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Not So Super Heroes

This is a true story. There were witnesses.

I was approximately 22 or 23 years old, my BF was probably 21 or 22... this is why this story is just plain weird and crazy.

It was very late into the summer of 2002, or maybe 2003, when the afternoons are at Hell-level hot in Central Florida. My best friend and I were sitting around the house, not doing much more than watching movies, talking, and soaking up the A/C.

I don't recall the course of our conversation that day, but knowing how we are, we most likely had come full circle from contemplating the limits of the universe, to the philosophy of Green Day's lyrics, to the way a strawberry seed gets stuck in a person's teeth.  There is no telling what or why this thought then crossed my mind - but it did.

Again, being that it was something like 13 years ago, I don't recall the exact way our conversation went, but it was basically like this:

Me: "Hey, let's dress up and paint our faces and pretend to be superheroes."
BF:  "What?"

I do recall that she was truly perplexed by what she thought she had heard. Her first and only sensible conclusion was that she had heard wrong. She stared at me like she was viewing a Modern Art piece that was somehow deemed beautiful and meaningful, but was really just a dot on a canvas.

Me: "I am betting we aren't the only people who are bored, let's go 'rescue' them from their boredom! Let's be superheroes!"
BF: (laughing) "You are insane."
Me: "Oh come one, it'll be fun! You know you want to do this with me.... who should we be? I think I want to paint flames on my face!  I will be "Ze Flame" (spoken with a bad French accent)!"

Side note:  I am fairly certain we had watched Clue that day, as it was and is one of my favorite movies. I love the quote from Madeline Khan, as Mrs. White saying that she was so angry she had "Flames.... Flames.... On my face..." 

BF: (laughing) "Oh my goodness, okay, okay, I will be..... Electra (said with a pretty good Proper English accent). "

I then proceeded to paint our faces with Flames and Lightning, and try our best to come up with lame back stories to explain our association with fire and electricity. It pains me that I cannot remember our back stories to tell you.  I know that we proceeded to speak in accents for the remainder of the day. Mine being a bad French accent, worthy of a striped shirt, ascot, thin mustache, and a baguette! Lumiere would be proud of it, though.  I believe he would have lit a flame for Ze Flame.

Her accent was a good and proper English.  Electra could have warmed the afternoon tea and restarted the Queen's old pacemaker all in one fashionable sitting. For King and Country, our dear Electra was.

So we continued with our heroic plan, and drove around our town to our friends houses, and places of work. We would rush in through the door...

Me: "We ahr hee' to rres-quee y'ew frum ze pain of ze bahrdness"
BF:  "Pardon me, We do hate to interrupt, but what my friend is trying to say is that we wish to assist you with any troubles you may be facing concerning being bored today."
Me:  "Yesssss, wha' sheee say-id"

The reaction was always the same... a blank stare, followed by an eruption in laughter.

Me:  "Our w'oerk, she is... compleet"
BF:  "Quite so.  I believe you are correct."

Here is one picture as proof.  It was taken at the end of a very hot and sweaty day... full of hard hero work.




Yes, yes, I know my crazy idea was more like "The Lame and Etc." but hey... we made people laugh. And we made a great memory for ourselves that we still look back on and laugh.

I know my best friend loves me, because she goes along with my silly crazy ideas. I love you Electra!


No comments:

Post a Comment